Thursday, January 27, 2011

Upcycled Mittens

Anyone tired of my upcycled sweater yet? This is the third and final project I made out of this little $4 sweater. Can you guess what it is? (If you didn't already read the title.) It's mittens!
Here's what I had left of this sweater. First, I made pillow covers and then I made the sweet little flower pom barrette. I had the entire sleeve left and I HAD to do something with it.

I did a super simple pattern: I traced around my hand. I cut it on the seam so I only had to sew up one side. I did the same with some leftover fleece I had. Here you can see the inside.
What mittens wouldn't be complete without a couple of fabric rosettes?

I am very happy with how they turned out. The sweater is not felted so they won't hold up to our Wisconsin snow but they'll make great driving mittens.

Note: Since making these little guys I been informed of a video tutorial to make super cute felted mittens. I will be trying that next! Here it is, if you'd like to give it a shot. There's even a hand drawn mitten pattern.


8 comments:

  1. These would be so cute to just wear out...like to a hockey game or something. Adorable! {...and yes, your comment on the yarn flower totally makes up for you not likin' the twine buttons. LOL!!!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love sweater refashions!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all three of your recycled sweater projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through the Sunday Showcase party. These are adorable. I have been recycling sweaters all winter & these are a great way to use up some scraps! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. found you on allie's hop .)

    Feel free to stop by and link up to my Make & Share 1st edition today and come back every friday thru saturday!

    ~ Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I go to the link where it says to "click here for pattern", it won't let me. Anybody else have that problem?

    ReplyDelete